Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Howdy Doody

Steve and I were talking tonight at dinner about what a strange thing the food chain is. And what strange creatures we are that chew, swallow and digest food. Anyway, I used to think about it a lot when I was young and thought it was even stranger then, than I do now. My brother and I used to have this ventriloquist Howdy Doody doll that seemed, to be at the time, life sized. (kind of looked like the one in the picture above, except I remember it having a gray suit.) I used to feed it potato chips. Read, didn't understand the digestive system at the time. Suffice to say, my Ma threw the darn thing away. I was so upset. Apparently, it had a pretty foul smell. Now that I think about it, I don't know where those chips would have landed. I guess his stuffing. I do not remember the smell. I just remember Howdy Doody, who really liked ruffled potato chips.Today I finished this piece that I thought of in the middle of the night a couple of days ago. The deer was done in my lost wax casting class. The copper is hand cut and then I use a patina on it to give it that blue effect. A pearl is set in a 14k gold bezel. I call it 'Guardian'. The deer seems so maternal to me, sitting on her beautiful egg with all of that insanity going on around her. Just like a mama.

2 comments:

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Great design Amie. The copper reminds me of Medusa's snakes but the pearl and deer contribute a definite soothing contrast, as you say. Very nice.

Just be...... said...

Wow this piece is brillant!!

I think that yellow fabric with the chandeliers for your wedding will be fabulous!!!