Thursday, November 22, 2007

Meet Bob



A.K.A "Big Head Bob Barker Pants". His name keeps getting longer. And you have to say his name in the fashion of that Petsmart commercial "Mr. Barkey Von Schnauzer". I had said that I was going to take a break from fostering, but I just couldn't resist. I am addicted. Melissa, a friend at the rescue emailed me with the story of the pup who had gotten hit by a car. We drove out to the Jefferson County Slum Jail, I mean Pound, and the lucky guy had already been saved by a rescue. Whoo! But how could I leave without a dog? They were all sitting in water. Caged for days, and all with pending deaths. They put dogs to sleep there every five days. Doesn't really matter much if they're healthy, good dogs. They just put them to sleep because they don't have room to house all of the strays because people do not spay and neuter their pets in the country and they just let them run around. Not everyone in the country, but it is rampant. And sad. I had such a hard time choosing which dog to save. I decided on Mr. Big Head Bob Barker Pants because he is black and a whopping 87lbs. And he is skinny. Black dogs take longer to get adopted, especially if they are big. People just don't pick them. So, Bob probably would have been put to sleep. The sad part about it is that he came in with his brother. We had to leave his brother behind. But he is smaller than Bob and brown. But, you can tell that they are bros. I am desperately trying to find someone to foster Bob's brother, so if you know someone, or if you would like to, by all means, please contact me. I will be happy to tell you about the foster program. Bob has a great tempermant. He is gentle as can be, thank goodness, because he is a monster. He is going to be a fabulous dog for someone. I can just tell.

Yesterday was a hard day at the pound. I had never been there before, and it was so sad. I wish I could have taken them all. Really, even the one with "aggressive" labeled on his cage. He was taken from his owner. Probably tied to a tree somewhere and never given any love or attention. Lost forever. He has mange and just looked uncomfortable overall. Sorry to be so sad and heavy, it was just really difficult. I love those doggies.

I hope everyone has a wonderfully relaxing day.

No comments: