Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ahhh Fall.


Fall makes me want to redecorate, paint, get things in order, and start new projects. I get so inspired this time of the year that it is hard to keep up with myself. I barely want to leave the house because there are so many fun crafty things I have in my head that I would like to execute. I also get nostalgic for things that I used to do. Like going to estate sales. I used to have a booth at an antique mall with my friend Nicole, but she has moved twice since then. It's absolutely necessary to have someone else relying on you to get up at 6 a.m. And you have to get there early if not first in order to get the goodies. There is nothing like the feeling of walking into an estate sale and knowing that the person who used to live there had appreciation for beautiful things. Color and anything old makes me want to ravage through the house. The folks who estate sale are serious. No one looks at one another and they literally don't care if you are in their way. It is a totally different culture. And I find myself so engrossed sometimes in the beautiful sheets, material, or handmade quilted dogs like this one that I don't realize I'm rudely blocking someone ability to get through.

I couldn't resist that little dog. It was a little more than what I thought it should have been marked, but it kept staring at me. It must have known that I rescue dogs.

Steve is outside being a workin' man. My niece is one and a half and she calls any man who is outside, no matter what they're doing a workin' man. He's finishing our five tiered retaining wall and patio. He and our friend Pat have been working on it all summer. I bet they wish the trees looked like this all summer. Steve's the cutest. He's such a trooper. He doesn't really enjoy all of the outdoor labor, but keeps pushing on. I love him!

Not to mention the weather. He was out there some weekends when it was a sweltering 100 degrees. I usually was inside watching HGTV on how to build retaining walls. And also how to landscape retaining walls. I am going to try to do mostly native plants out there. I have been researching and cannot wait until next spring when I get to dig into the ground. I look forward to the days when I pull up to the house (we don't have a driveway, because we live in the city) and think, ahhw, what a cute house, that's my hizzy, I'm so proud that that is my hizzy.

Steve's band Strawfoot had a show last night. They all dressed like the freaky circus people. Steve was the insane clown.

He looked pretty insane.

The Chicago show is fast approaching and I have been downstairs in my dungeon soldering, sawing and filing away. I made five pieces this week. My goal is to average 7.5 pieces, but it was a really crazy week with the fosters. I don't want to talk about it though. I have already complained and talked everyone's ear off that I know. And I will spare you.

This is my first try at making something pretty in the kitchen and actually being careful while doing so. So, I took a picture, because usually the only thing that I pay excruciating detail to is my jewelry. It actually tasted good too. It is vegetarian chili, which I am usually not that fond of when I follow a recipe, but changed this one up a little, adding a little more spice and different beans. The little corn cups are to die for. I meant to journal what I changed, but in the tiredness of it all, I forgot, or didn't have the energy. I don't remember. But, I am planning on making for our annual chili cookoff and hope it turns out as good. Half the time I am unable to do the same thing twice. That is why I am going to start journaling when I cook.

No comments: